Art and History Trail
Flinders Discovery Centre (Information Centre)
Mutt - Full Bodied Replica of a Muttaburrasaurus
‘Mutt’ arrived from the Tropical Museum of Queensland in 1999. ’Mutt’ is a very photogenic, friendly character who welcomes all guests to Hughenden. This Muttaburrasaurus is a favourite with many who pass through the township.
Wirila Mill - 35 Foot Comet Windmill (Facility)
Gerald Elliott from Wirilla Station, the late Ian Mitchell and Pauline Mitchell from Ingle Downs Station and Harry and Sue Forster from Belfield Station, Winton donated this windmill to the Flinders Shire Council.
It was erected by Tim Matt from Pastoral Construction Services and Council’s contractors and labourers in November 2008.
Sydney Williams and Co Pty Ltd made this windmill and it is only one of fifteen 35 foot mills ever manufactured. The first six mills were made in Rockhampton with the last nine made in Sydney. The Wirilla Mill is number 11. This mill could pump in excess 250,000 gallons or 1 million litres (a mega litre) of water per day with an average wind. This supplied water for stock, delivered along small water courses across the land known as bore drains, some up to 45km long. Each stroke, if there was no slippage would deliver 69 litres of water.
Returned Soldiers' Memorial Rotunda
Hughenden District Soldiers Memorial Fund erected a Rotunda and Drinking Fountain with a cenotaph in 1932, located in Gray Street. This was used for ANZAC Day ceremonies until 1956 when a new cenotaph was constructed in front of the swimming pool in Resolution Street, which is still in use today. The Rotunda was restored in 2006 by the Flinders Shire Council.
Hughenden is the home of many impressive sculptural pieces adorning buildings and garden areas throughout the town. The sculptures are made and designed by local artists. These include:
- Federation Windmill Rotunda – This rotunda is made from 20’ windmills brought in from a local property, dated 1912 and 1916. These windmills were originally used to pump water for stock.
- Darby the Dinosaur – Large wall sculpture depicting the Muttaburrasaurus.
- Pterosaurs – Three metal sculptures on the roof of the Flinders Discovery Centre, one in a full skeletal resting state.
- Leanneosaur – Life-sized flying metal sculpture of a Queensland Pterosaur.
- Flinders River Fish Sculptures – Metal fish made from washers and scrap metal.
- Ammonite Sculpture – A representation of an Ammonite fossil made from windmill parts.
- Window Panel Sculptures – Creative window sculptures, depicting the rural culture and rich fossil areas in the Hughenden District.
- Historic Coolabah Tree & Surveyor's Peg – Frederick Walker and Sir William Landsborough, whilst searching for Burke and Wills, blazed this Coolabah tree. The cement sculpture of a surveyors peg is adorned with four brass plaques representing historical figures and events of the area.
- Hebrew Grave – The grave of Jeanette Tolano, who died in 1883, is the only remaining grave from the old cemetery. It is believed that it was never relocated for spiritual reasons.